Yes if it is done correctly with someone who understands what is happening. If you have sciatica and have had it for a while then you should seek medical attention prior to a pilates appointment. This can be with your GP or a Chartered Physiotherapist. They will be able to assess you properly and determine why you are getting sciatic referral. If they think it necessary then they will also refer you on to a specialist. Remember that nerve pain can feel better when it is moved but can then get worse afterwards so it is really important to understand what is happening and why you are getting the pain.